NATURE CLUB – POONCHOLA
The world environment day falls on June 5 th . In connection with this, our college, St James College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chalakudy started a nature club with the name POONCHOLA
in the year 2009. The name was suggested by Dr. Latha, Director, River Research Centre, Thrissur.
She officially announced the inauguration of Poonchola by lighting the lamp. S. Unnikrishnan
(Executive Member, Chalakudy Puzha Samrakshana Samithi ) was the special invitee. Dr. Prof. K.
Krishnakumar (Principal, St-James college of Pharmaceutical Sciences,Chalakudy) gave the
welcome address followed by presidential address by Rev.Fr. Antony Mukkattukarakkaran ( former
Administrator And Associate Director Of St- James Medical Academy,Chalakudy). An emblem was
designed for the nature club. Some important activities performed were river study camp of
chalakudy river, maintanace of medicinal plant garden of our college.
- As a part of forest awareness programme, Poonchola had arranged a trekking programme to
Athirappilly forest on 22 December 2009. A documentry show about Plachimada water crisis was held at college auditorium in August 2009.
- State medicinal plant board provided fund (in the year 2011,2012,2013) for the nature club Poonchola as a part of the project “Schoolil oru oushadha thottam”.
- In the year 2010, Poonchola conducted a blood donation camp in association with St James Hospital, Chalakudy.
- In 2011 a documentary exhibition towards the need of preservation of nature for future generation and importance of maintaining the hygienic surroundings was conducted.
- In the year 2012, Poonchola club conducted a film exhibition and the films were “Stolon
water” &”Fragrance of eternity” casted by Dept. of Forest and wild life. Both the films
emphasis on need of conserving the nature and wild life.
- In 2013, an interactive session of our students was conducted with S.P.Ravi, secretory,
Chalakudy Puzha samrakshana samithi on wastage of food and protection of rivers.
- A documentary was shown about conservation of tigers. 0n 12 /01 /2014
- Poonchola had arranged a trekking programme to Vadattupara (under Malayattor forest
division) The spots covered were Edamalayaar Dam, Bhoothathaankettu etc.
- Poonchola had harvested crop rotated vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower in accordance
with Harvesting Maholsava on January 29,2014 which was inaugurated by Dr.Jojo Antony
Thoduparambil(Associate Director, St James Medical Academy,Chalakudy) .
- In 2015, world environment day was celebrated and M.Mohandas, convenor, Puzha
Samrtakshana Forum ,Chalakudy inaugurated the function by lighting the lamp. He
emphasized the role of young generation in building the natures’ beauty. The planting of
saplings provided by forest department, Chalakudy was done.
- As part of UN summit on global climate agreement in Paris, on November 29 th , 2015 ,a
peoples climate march was conducted from vazhachal to athirapilly ( 5.5 kms). Our students
and staff members were actively participated in the people’s climate march. Medicinal
garden has been modified in 2016 by planting wide varieties of plants with the active
participation of our students.